Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: damping in 620 cabinet?

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Did you add the series resistor and bypass cap and attentuate the HF horn to match?

    GM

  2. #22
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What are you using for a xover/l-pad? I tried removing the l-pad from my 604E crossovers and the result was completely unlistenable. When I could hear the bass notes (barely) my ears were just about being sheared off by the highs. I suspect that your problem is much more related to the amount of hf attenuation than anything to do with the cabinets. Does the output impedance of the power amp match the speakers (16 ohm taps)?

    Dave

  3. #23
    Inactive Member lhgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2002
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi GM,

    forums Tremendous change last night! I rechecked the wiring last night, and found no problems at all. So I paralleled a 3.3R resistor with a 2.2uF PP cap. Connect it between the amplifier and crossover +ve terminals, and wala...!!! Improved bass!

    It doesn't go very deep and quantity is still not much, but at least much decent bass is coming out from the speakers. High frequency got finer and cleaner too.

    What more could be done here? Is the stocked N1600 crossover the culprit of no bass? What could be done further on the crossover? Would building a new crossover be benefitial?

    The sound is MUCH listenable now, but still the highs and lows are not very good. forums

    Many, many thanks GM!

    Rgds,
    lhgin

    Hi Dave Fits,

    I've tried the speaker drivers with 80W SS amp, still no bass, 2W parafeed SET, still no bass. I hooked both amps to some other small bookshelves and they're fine.

    The woofer cones are checked before being placed in, and it was unmounted twice do change the cabinet inner filling, so it should be fine.

    Thanks for your input! forums

    Hi SelmerDave,

    I'm using N1600 original xover box. The amplifier output impedance was checked too as I've a switch at the amp to switch from 8-16R. I tried playing with the Lpad, and after putting in the resistor-capacitor that GM has recommended, highs and lows improved by a LOT!!!

    I think I should try to play with the crossover instead. Looks like it's not fully optimized for the 604s.

    Has anyone rebuilt the crossover to suit the 604s with modern or tube amps?

    Thanks for your reply! forums

    Rgds,
    lhgin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.